Scribe, ut possis cum voles dicere: dices cum velle debebis (Pl. Ep. 6.29)

Wednesday, January 04, 2006

Mr. Mister

I don't like cheesy manners. In negative circumstances it's always bad, and then in neutral or positive circumstances it reminds me of the negative cases. Example: My math teacher in highscool failed me in a final exam for purely bureaucratic reasons - i solved more than enough problems to pass, but didn't fill out a form correctly. When i tried to object, she called me Adon (Mr.) Alex in Hebrew. (It's so weird to recall that that was my name once.) Amir G. called me just Aharoni most of the time and "Adon Aharoni" every time he said how much he hates me.

Then there's the "Dear Amir" opening. I received an email opening with "Dear Amir" from my Latin teacher when she decided to fail me (by the way, i fought it and eventually passed). Now every time i see an email opening with "Dear Amir" i get the feeling that the sender hates me.

And now Google. They decided that i'm not good enough to carry their ads. And they ended their email with "Sincerely, Google AdSense team". While it's certainly better than "Dear Amir, You'll hear from our lawyers soon", it kinda brought me down. Now i'm gonna hate "Sincerely" forever.

No comments: